Saturday, August 23, 2008

Encourage Walking...FIX THE SIDEWALKS!

This morning, I had to take the car in for new brakes. I had no ride home, so I popped Mikaela in the stroller and away we went. I was APALLED at the condition Stanford's sidewalks are in. The irony of it is that they spent soo much money 4 years ago updating main street. Which is all well and good, but aside from the drug store and the courthouse, and the churches, there's very little need to actually walk there. So, there are fantastic sidewalks that stay fantastic because it's 'historic Main Street'. They're very rarely used.

I enjoyed the walk. Mikaela likes being outside, and she's very friendly. She wanted to walk up to every house to 'meet the girls who live here.'
Unfortunately, she was very thirsty by the time we got home. She had juice with her, but every time she'd start to take a drink, we'd hit a crack or grass patch and it would spill all over her. That's when we actually had sidewalk to use. AND-the thing that bothers me most-the intersections don't have a break in the curb. Do you know how awkward and time consuming it is to lift a stroller up onto a curb like that? I'm paranoid that, on our way back to pick up the car, a distracted driver is going to come too close for comfort.

It seems to me, with gas prices and obesity rates, that places would start doing what they can to encourage their citizens to be more active. They should start with the sidewalks.

No comments: