Saturday, September 13, 2008

Starting Early

Today, there was an annual festival in my hometown. I took the kiddo to see the parade, and we wandered a bit to see all the booths. We talked about getting her face painted. My dad told her she should get a monkey, because she was one. Mikaela, of course, thought this was hysterical. An hour later, when we made our way to that particular booth, guess what she asked for? That's right. A Monkey!
So, after face-painting, we were on to the mini-makeover booth. Hair styles, fingernail polish, and kiddy makeup. Mikaela was in HEAVEN. As we're standing in line, waiting our turn, this woman walks up, admires the kids, and then makes a comment about how they're 'starting them younger and younger.'

Which got me thinking...are we? Certainly my daughter started this younger than *I* did, but then, I was a tomboy for a long time.

My kid loves that girly girl stuff. I don't know why, she just does. From the first time she saw me use nail polish or lipgloss, she's been addicted. She'll put it on and grin real big, asking, "Am I bootiful?'. Of course, she also asks if she's bootiful with spaghetti sauce covering her from ear to ear.

But anyway, the lady got me wondering...how much faster do kids grow up today?

3 comments:

Mom said...

Kira loves having her nails done and her hair. I don't think it's so much about "starting them young" as about teaching them how to appreciate themselves for who they are.

Why does it have to be such an issue with people? I remember playing dress up when I was little. It isn't a new concept. Some kids just enjoy it more than others.

Anonymous said...

People don't have tact and want to interject parenting advice to others to feel special. I see no problem with a little wanting to emulate her mommy, sons pretend to shave to be like thier dad and pretend to use tools, should they be discouraged because it is too adult.

I dont think she has any concept of what the makeup is used for by big girls and if she is tought by you that it is something that should be used and moderation and not as a manipulation it shouldnt matter. If you are a good parent and teach them lifes lessons instead of letting them learn on thier own by watching how the "other girls" act later on then she will be just fine.

Anonymous said...

" I see no problem with a little GIRL wanting to emulate her mommy"