Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Bittersweet.

You'd think, with all this extra time on my hands and all that...that my house would be spotless.

Well, it's not. It's not any different from when I was actually working-I haven't replaced my job as a teacher by cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. Although Sam probably wishes I would, I don't devote any more time to those domestic tasks now than before.

My time, of course, is taken up being Mommy. Less and less mommy, more and more 'Mom' or 'Mama'.

I have literally watched my child grow right before my eyes. She's taller, smarter, more herself every single day. She's developing like, dislikes, wants every second. Why, oh why, would I want to miss that by hiding behind a mop?

Don't get me wrong, the laundry and the dishes get done.

Today, however, Mikaela told me that she didn't want to grow up. She wants to stay little forever, and play with her friends at the daycare.

For some reason, that made me see the future so much more clearly. My child is growing up. Kindergarten is just around the corner, and after that...well, visions of prom dresses, graduation caps and wedding veils abound.

With that in my future, a load of laundry left undone, unopened mail on the table...it just doesn't seem like such a big deal after all.

Candy Land and Elefun are much more productive ways to spend time with my daughter.

No comments: